Tuesday, August 13, 2013

It's Always Summer Somewhere


Ever since I first read this on the September page of last year's Lilly agenda, it's stuck with me as one of my very favorites.  Just because school starts back, doesn't mean we can't stay in a summer mindset year-round.  One of my very favorite quotes (I'm pretty sure I've shared it with y'all before), is from Albert Camus.  It reads "In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  Another of my very favorites from the fabulous Lilly Pulitzer herself states "Not always sunny, but always in a sunny state of mind."  Finally, the famous Lilly quote we all know and love, "It's always summer somewhere."

All these speak to me in a way that almost helps me come to terms with the end of summer because really, summer never ends.  As long as there are docks and boats, flip flops and swimsuits, sunscreen, life jackets, lakes, sunshine, palm trees, lemonade, frozen yogurt, sunglasses, croakies, baseball hats, seashells, watermelon, and all our other favorite summer things, summer will continue to go on around us.

Summer is constant.  Just because it's not warm and sunny, doesn't mean it's not summer, because summer isn't weather.  It's a lifestyle.  Summer is an attitude, a mindset of freedom and bliss.  It's being happy and carefree all the time, living for the moment, and enjoying every minute of every day.  And this lifestyle does not require a day on the lake with a high of 98 to live.  This mindset can be embraced every day of our lives.

So, as the tan lines fade and the weather starts to change, remember, summer is invincible.  It may not seem like it, but it is always inside of us.  Pearls look just as good with riding boots and sweaters as they do with sundresses.  Despite the forecast, live like it's summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment