Monday, May 26, 2014

'Merica Monday: Memorial Day and BIG News

{Let me just start by saying that I've been drafting this post for about two weeks.  There's so much I wanted to say, and I hope this covers it all.  It's hard to put into words exactly how momentously thankful I am and how appreciative we all need to be!}

Hey y'all!  Today's 'Merica Monday is going to be big.  There's so much to talk about, but let's start out with the most important thing.

Today, the United States of America celebrates Memorial Day.  It officially marks the beginning of lake season {yay!} and white pants.  People nationwide are celebrating with hamburgers on the grill and watermelon in the cooler, enjoying a day off work and spending time with family.  The smell of sunscreen is everywhere, and American flags are soaring proudly above cookouts and lakeside parties.  Life is so good.

What we need to remember most is that only because of the men and women of the Armed Forces who have made the ultimate sacrifice are we able to enjoy this lifestyle.  I've said it a million times already and I'll say it a million times more: we live in the land of the free because of the brave.  Freedom doesn't come free, and it takes a true hero to pay its price.  They've sacrificed themselves for something larger than themselves, and without them, there would be no America.  They carried with them the pride of every man and woman who served before them, wearing it as a badge of honor and refusing to relent.  Every American has pledged allegiance to our flag and our country, but these men and women have gone above and beyond the call of duty to go out and defend it.  From the establishment of our nation, our soldiers have never quit, they've never backed down, and they've always been there to defend the land that we love.  We owe our fallen heroes {as well as those who continue to serve} so much thanks and respect not only today, but every day.  It's hard to put into words how truly grateful I am for these men and women and everything they've done to ensure that I get to experience the American dream.

"Today, let us remember those who have gone on before us, and let us thank God that such men lived."

That being said, the privilege of serving one's country is a great one.  I can only imagine how rewarding it feels to be a part of something bigger than yourself; to wear the uniform of the best nation in the world; and  to be able to contribute {even if in the smallest way} to the operations that keep America going.  I'm very excited to say that I will one day know this reward.  I have signed with the U.S. Army Reserves and will be headed to MEPS {Military Entrance Processing Station} in the very near future.  There, after it is confirmed that I meet all the necessary requirements, I will swear in as a soldier in the United States Army and choose my unit and MOS {Military Occupational Specialty}.  In addition, I will eventually attend BCT {Basic Combat Training}, where I will be fully developed into an American soldier, and AIT {Advanced Individual Training}, where I will learn the skills necessary to become fully specialized in my MOS.  This won't be for a while, but in the mean time I will be attending drill one weekend a month, where I will work with my unit and become accustomed to military life.  Excited is an understatement.

I've always admired the men and {especially} women in ACUs {Army Combat Uniforms} and can't wait to serve the country I love so much.  This is an amazing opportunity for me as a person, and while I'm sure it won't always be easy, it will be so incredibly rewarding.  I can't wait to become part of a unit and begin my journey to greatness.

I hope y'all enjoy this Memorial Day as much as I will.  Let your American pride shine brighter than the sun on this beautiful day!  TTYL! {Because in case you haven't noticed, the Army has an acronym for everything}

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! I am so so so happy for you! This is a huge decision and I a so proud of you!

    Love Always,
    Elizabeth
    thejourneycreatingme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elizabeth! I can't wait to see what the future holds for me. I appreciate your support and kind words as always and absolutely loved your post on Memorial Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For what it's worth, I could not be more proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, it's worth a lot! Thank you so much for the encouragement. Love you and see you this summer :)

      Delete
  4. Dear Miss Melissa, what a beautiful, heartfelt post. Your enthusiasm is a true inspiration. I wish you all the very best. Of all the people I know, I think you know your own heart more than anyone and that is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete