Sunday, February 24, 2013

One Day At A Time

All through high school, I've been told that I need to have a plan.  So much stress has been put on the importance of choosing a career and college, and I was beginning to get worried when I realized that as a Sophomore with only two years before graduation, I still had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.  All my friends had perfect futures planned out.  They all chose schools and majors, and were ready to do everything in their power to get where they wanted to go.  Then, there was me, who's only future plans were to marry rich, drive a Range Rover, and have my own private beach.  To say the least, I was nervous.

I guess the reason I had such a tough time choosing the right career path was because every job that I mentally "tired out" seemed boring.  I knew there was no way I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing something that bored me to death, so I was just hoping that the perfect plan would just fall together for me.  When I realized that this was completely unrealistic, I really started stressing.  I could envision it clearly: I'd be eighteen years old, graduating high school, and yet to determine where I was going to college, what I was going to study, or how I was going to get a job.  Needless to say, that really worried me.

Then, it hit me.  Maybe I don't need a plan.  I've been taking things one day at a time all my life, and it's worked out pretty well so far.  Maybe I just need to sit back, relax, and let God's plan for me fall into place.  I'll make the decisions as they come, and I'll take my life wherever I want it to go.  Besides, how many of my friends are actually going to have the futures they're planning on now ten years from now?  The more I think about it, the more I actually like the idea of not having a "plan".  I mean, I know what I don't want, so choosing what I do can't be that difficult.  I'm fifteen years old, and there's still so much I want to do before I even start to think about college or a job.  

There's no need to stress about something that's three years away.  No matter how many disapproving looks I get from teachers of guidance counselors when I say that I don't have any idea what I want to do, I'm going to refuse to worry about it.  I'm just going to trust that everything will work out and enjoy the high school years while I can, because they aren't going to last forever, and rushing through them isn't going to do me any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment