Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday

Well, it's official, the season of Lent starts today.  Being a Roman Catholic, I observe Lent every year by abstaining from eating meat on Fridays and living in solemnity to commemorate the upcoming death of Jesus.  While the majority of people look at Lent as a time to give something up, I look it as a time to start doing more.  Instead of doing the ever-so-typical "not eating chocolate" or "being nicer to people", I use the forty days before Easter as a way to improve myself not only as a person, but as a Catholic.  This Lent, I'm going to try to read the Bible more, participate more actively at youth, and focus a little more on trying to figure out God's plan for me.  I can't wait to wake up on Easter day, go to Mass, and look back at all the progress I've made.

Genesis 3:19:  "...For you are dust, and to dust you shall return."
This verse has always stuck with me, and its so humbling to hear every year at Mass on Ash Wednesday.  Jesus really did make the ultimate sacrifice for us, and we owe it all to Him.  I'm so blessed to have been raised Catholic and can't see my self ever feeling so at home with any other religion.

On a lighter note, the start of Lent also means that Easter and spring are only a short month away!  It's almost sundress and sandal season, and I couldn't be more excited.  There's no feeling like getting up on Easter morning, putting on a bright colored dress, and stepping out into the crisp spring air and sunshine.  After Easter, spring comes and goes, and summer is closer than ever.  It's all going to fly by, but I can't wait for it to finally arrive.  The grass turns green again, the flowers bloom, and all the stores release bright-colored spring and summer collections.  Easter marks not only the rising of Jesus Christ, but the rebirth of nature from the dreary, cold season of winter.  The best part about it?  The fact that it's all only a short forty days away ☀

Best of luck to everyone embarking on the spiritual journey of Lent!  I'll be keeping y'all in my prayers and hope that you'll do the same for me.  The week is already half over, and the weekend will be here before we know it.  Let's finish this week strong and have a fabulous weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment